Thursday, July 30, 2009

On Leave with Savoir Faire

Today sees me heading off to Montreal for a long weekend, so Savoir Faire devotees; I will be incommunicado for a couple of days.

If I just happened to have been an allied officer during World War II on the North African campaign I would have been on leave with savoir faire in Cairo. Luckily also being an officer meant that I would have been enjoying my leave at either the Mena House or Shepheards Hotel. These were THE places to stay before the war and so it seems during the war also.


They might have been operating on somewhat reduced circumstances, however I could still enjoy a drink on the terrace at Shepheard’s and watch the world go by, and maybe even eavesdrop in on a conversation that was just filled with espionage.


If I was lucky to be billeted at the Mena House, enjoying my afternoon tea by the pool would have been a matter of course. If so inclined I could then climb the Great Pyramid right next door.

So we salute you and have a fabulous weekend.

*Suggested reading, Shepheards Hotel by Nina Nelson.

3 comments:

  1. Montreal is a lovely city, with a decadent undertone...

    Don't do anything I wouldn't do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Montreal? Sounds lovely to me.
    Just pretend the St. Lawrence is the Nile.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TJB and Jason.
    Back in reality now in Toronto. Lots of fun as Divercite was on.

    TJB- you will have to give me a list!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin