Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Now Smell this!

Ok, I am sorry to say that most of my top ten men’s colognes are oldies, and not really available at your mainstream department store, but they are out there if you search! This is why I like them as wear one of these and people will be asking you “what are you wearing?” I really do not want to smell like every other Tom, Dick or Harry that has picked up their cologne through some advertising campaign that seems to be promoting sex, or because their significant other has bought it for them. Just realised I have something like a top twelve! I also recommend that women try these as well, I wear a lot of women’s perfumes as well and people are always intrigued as to what I am wearing. Pick one that is right for you and you will have a secret weapon of savoir faire!

So here they are not in any particular order. I haven’t included eau de cologne here because it is such a staple, that it is a given.

What is your favourite?

Monsieur Balmain by Pierre Balmain

A fresh burst of citrus heaven!



Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Wonderfully Gentleman like, with notes of sandlewood, rose and leather.

Yatagan by Caron

Actually my all time favourite that takes you to the exotic east.



Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

A wonderful fresh citrus that will bring out the savage in you (in a good way).



Vetiver by Carven or Guerlain

Nice and earthy with touches of spice




Yardley Gentleman by Yardley

The quintessential English fragrance




Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

The quintessential American fragrance.



D&G by Dolce & Gabanna

A modern day classic.



YSL Pour Homme

Another fresh burst of citrus



Signoricci by Nina Ricci

Nice and subdued that has class written all over it.


Ho Hang by Balenciaga

Created in 1971 with notes of bergamot, lemon, Portuguese orange and mint.



Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Need we say anymore re the advertisement below?


8 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more! My husband has been wearing Vetiver by Guerlain for years. I love old scents as well. As a teenager, I used to wear the men's cologne, Drakar noir... It still is one my favorites!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adore the illustration for the dior Ad darling!
    Chanel has a new/latest men's perfume 'Blue'

    xo*

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite (which I don't believe you can get any more) was DK Men. It came in a gunmetal, organic alien / gun shaped bottle. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the image for eau savage. I've always liked Opium for Men...but I wear it, not my husband. I've never been able to find a men's cologne that I love...on men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see that you gravitate towards the classics, and I agree with you. These are stellar choices. But what about our indispensable Jean Marie Farina Eau de Cologne?

    As we speak of fragrance, does anyone "layer' anymore? You know, use the whole range of one product, soap, cologne, deodorant etcetera so that it makes a bold statement and recognizable signature? I love that concept.

    How did you come to have such a love of scent, and know so much about it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cote, your husband obvoiusly has goo taste! Vetiver is a classic! Do you still wear the Drakkar?

    Lenora and Jill, That advert for Eau Sauvage is one of my all time favourite beices of art by Gruau. I even blew it up and have it framed at home.

    Dale, I am still sure you can find DK men abouts.

    Mr SWF, I left JMF cologne out because it is a given. Yep definitely love the classics as they are different than the rubbish produced nowadays. Have yet to smell something really remarkable. I love layering, however find it difficult now to buy soap, talc, deordorant etc all in the same scent, as I think layering has now gone out of fashion and these items are very rarely produced anymore.

    As to my interest it is a long story, so perhaps will post about it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't follow it closely, but it seems to me that when you go into European perfumeries, such as Douglas in Germany, they have a vastly wider range of products than in America, especially in the classics.

    A friend wears Tabac, and it comes in everything, most of which is no longer available in Canada. The icing on the cake is a scented candle in the same scent. The Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina candle is excellent, burns well, and is a faithful version of the cologne. Super fresh, clean, and in a way, rich.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am now addicted to Creed's Original Vetiver. It smells (in a good way) like freshly cut grass. It's also strong, but subtle - you can't really smell it on me until you get very close, and then - well, let's just say that it's been very successful!

    And, like you, I don't wish to smell like everyone else who has wandered into Sephora, Macy's, or Walgreen's. I had been toying with the idea of getting one of Hermes' scents, because I absolutely loved the way it smelled on an old paramour - and, for a long time, you could only get it at the Hermes boutiques. Well, lo and behold, it began being sold at Sephora, and the new Bleu de Chanel smells exactly like it, too (which can be found at any Lord and Taylor's), and wouldn't you know that I recognized one or the other on at least half a dozen guys in one day? No, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin