Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Some Upholstery Savoir Faire

I love upholstery fabrics and some of my favourites come from Lorca of France. They have brilliant colour combinations and wonderful quality that just reek of savoir faire. They use past references out of history to name their collections which hint of the exotic past they draw their inspiration from.

Even though my current decor could not support any of these wonderful colour combinations, they have been filed away for future reference.

"Porfiro Stripe" by Lorca one of my favourites especially when teamed with this Louis chair. The combination purple and green stripe is just stunning and elegant.

“Dampierre” the combination shocking pink stripe below, reminds me of Schiaparelli’s colour palate.

“Aventina” - An Italian girls' name. This design is a floral velvet jacquard on a plain background.

“Bragadin” - A 15th century pirate. This is a large regular stripe in colours which exactly match Aventina.

This pure silk below was discovered in the workshop of a sari printer and the colours chosen are traditional Indian ones. The appearance of being unevenly printed is deliberate so as to imitate the handmade quality of the original.

“Goa” named after the former Portuguese colony on the west coast of India. This design is woven in pure silk. Multicoloured narrowed bands of satin contrast with plainer two-tone stripes; black, chocolate and caramel contrast with cream and off-white

So whip out the satple gun, upholster and sit on some savoir faire!

3 comments:

  1. Textiles are my first love. I wish I had been a textile designer. I love all of these...so bright and lively!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are gorgeous!! I really love the chair in the first picture. It's kind of unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, it is never too late!! get out that sketchbook.

    YSLGuy- I know! I would just love it!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin